Friday, June 02, 2006

Guess What Dad!! ??

Yesterday I was walking on the grass by the baseball field where my grandson Zach was playing in his little league game. There was Isabelle standing behind the crowd waving me over. With a big smile on her face she gleemed, "Guess what Papa!?" You knew she had something important to say because she couldn't wait for me to guess so she told me, but just telling me wasn't enough. Her mom let her call her dad who was in Los Angeles on a business trip. Boy she was beaming! "Dad" ,she said with a big smile on her face, "Guess what?" "I lost a tooth!" Then she went into great detail about how her tooth was loose and she asked her mom to buy her an apple to help get it out, but it didn't work. "I felt something sticking out, so I just pulled it out!", and there it was in all its' glory... a missing tooth!

As an adult you deal with all sorts of "important" issues of life. I'm not sure what kind of trip her dad Jason had in his whirlwind 1-1/2 day trip. Times like that trying to make connections, put your best face forward for your boss, or client. Sometimes presentations don't go so good, then rushing off to catch the next flight and then you get an "important" call from someone you love. Someone who wants to share the most important thing in their life that day with their dad.

If you watch TV you'd think the best thing a person could have is a 3 star diamond ring, or a new elegant classically styled luxury car, or to win the lottery. On and on the commercials go pushing whatever they think we need. It's little wonder that in God's eyes the heart of a child is precious to him. In Matthew 19, verse 14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

With so many complicated things in life, it's the simple joys that make me stop and thank the Lord for how good He is to me. It reminds me that even though He is the Creator, that he is interested even in the little things of life. He knows when even a sparrow falls to earth. Matthew 10:28-31 says, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

What more could we ask!

Thank you Isabelle for the sweet reminder!

No comments: