Monday, June 12, 2006

How About Spats?


'''Spats''' are a type of shoe accessory worn in the late 19th and early 20th century. They were stiff fabric covers attached to the top of the shoe and extending up the lower part of the leg. Spats, especially white ones on highly-polished black shoes, form part of the stereotype dress of a wealthy young man of the era, along with a top hat and a cane. Other common colors were gray, tan, and black. Though often a fashion accessory, wool felt spats were also worn to keep the ankles warm.
Spats were an evolution of the 18th century "Spatterdashes," a version of the similar (but strictly practical rather than decorative) articles known as [[gaiters]] that are still worn today, to prevent mud getting into walking boots. In their heyday, spats served a similar function in dressing up shoes even if they got dirty.

I've never worn spats, but have seen them in some old movies we watched a while back. They evidently had a purpose in the beginning, but later became a "fashion statement" for wealthy men.

Recently, my friend Bob got hired in another state and within a week he was off to work. It was quite a shock to me from which I'm still recovering.

He was buying some new clothes for his new job and I e-mailed him to tell him I thought he should buy some spats to make an impression on his new job! With the return e-mail he replied .... "Dan, Your suggestions are always appreciated…and quite frequently rejected." :)

Bob and I go back about 20 years or so where we found our first love - Jesus Christ - in Taylor, Michigan. A few years ago, I started attending a church in the area and before long, Bob and his wife Suzette started attending also. We became close friends and spent many happy times sharing our faith, "solving the world's problems", and just enjoying each others' company (esp. at Famous Dave's Restaurant where we ordered exactly the same thing almost every week!). In life, you may have a lot of friends, but you only have a few close friends, and Bob was, and is, one of them. As much as we got together to encourage him and Suzette, to be honest, they were an encouragement to me. If you've been reading this blog for a while, you'll remember the Mother of all Rummage Sales we went to. I still laugh when I think about that.

You go along in life trying to do right, trying to make a difference, and then Whop! things change and the next thing you know you're saying good bye. We did have one last lunch at Famous Dave's (and ordered the same thing!). It was hard to say good bye, almost like a loved one dying. My uncle would just say, "deal with it", and I will, but for now I want to think about how fortunate I was that God brought Bob and Suzette in my life. They made a difference. Suzette and Sue B. brought our age group together with our "Friends" get togethers.

Among the many areas of service Bob gave to our church, his passion was and is our Growth Partners for Men that he started. When Bob got saved, another church member came along side him and discipled him and helped him get a good start in his Christian life. Bob never forgot that and when he came to our church (Community Baptist Church) he wanted to do the same for others. The last time I talked to him I think Bob said there were over 40 people involved in helping one another grow in Christ!

On the last Sunday he was here, the night before he left for his new job, Bob arranged for two men to get together and get in involved in that ministry! You know he loved that ministry because everyone had said their good byes and he was still working to get people together!

We wish Bob and Suzette well as they start their new adventure. I'm hoping they find a good church and continue their minstry there. They'll be a blessing there as they were here.

With today's technology we will continue to communicate via e-mails and such and keep up on each others life and our families, but it won't be the same. When I drive past Famous Dave's it will remind me of them, and thank the Lord for the good times we had together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested