Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I wish I had a recording...


Years ago I worked in a machine shop. As I sat by my desk and listened in on job interviews, a man came in one day for a job....

It seems this man was a Hungarian trained as a machinist in Hungary. He was a very humble person, I could tell, as he answered questions by the foreman. "You'll like the working conditions here", the foreman said. "I don't have formal training in the United States" he said. "Oh, I'm sure you'll fit in after a few weeks. A machine is a machine regardless of where you're from" "I don't think I can do the job. I don't know the new ways of doing things." "Oh, I'm sure it will be all right. Just go to the clinic and get an exam and you can start tomorrow".

"I don't think I can" the man said. "Why not?" said the foreman.

"You don't want to hire a blind man do you?"

By that time I was rolling on the floor. It seems this man just needed to prove he was looking for a job, not to get one.

The foreman was so patient and sensitive to this man's needs, but didn't know what to say when he told him he was blind!

If I could have recorded the conversation, it would have been the funnies I've ever heard. For months we went around the shop saying "You don't want to hire a blind man do you?"

No comments: