Monday, June 25, 2007

Hit your thumb and forget the foot pain


A couple years ago, my daughters baught me a cockatiel bird. Now, most people don't like them, but I do. Coming from a family of 10 for many years to now spending most of the time home alone I need the background noise. So, anyway, they bought me this beautiful bird. I looked it up in a book and it said the way you tell the sex of a cockatiel is by it's coloring around it's cheeks. (for those of you that think to look elsewhere, it doesn't work!). So because my bird had bright beautiful cheeks, I called him Sammy, El Guapo. Now the El Guapo comes from the movie 3 Amigos and it means "ladies man". For the last couple years we tried everything to get hime to talk. Even bought a DVD with bird sayings on it. But He just squawked.


Now here we are at Friday night and Saturday morning. I was in trmendous pain from a neuropathy in my legs and couldn't wait till I got out of dialysis to get home. I was counting the minutes till they unplugged me. Hoping that we still had some prescriptions for pain pills at home.


I came home tired, worn out and beat and the first thing I walked in Joy said, "Hey dad, guess what Sammy did?" I don't know I said. "She laid an egg" What! "She laid an egg! Take a look" Hmm, looks like we'll have to call him/her Samantha and drop the El Guapo part! As Joy looked up on the internet it seems that white cockatiels have been so inbred so much that they have lost their characteristic male/female cheek color identity. Another thing they do is hang upside down on the cage like a bat to protect their nests! Sammy, uh er Samantha was always doing that which we thought was cute.


As it sunk in that He was really a she, we got some good laughs thinking about all the effort we put into tryint to teach him to talk (not as dominant in females). Joy even tried for quite a while to teach him the Marine Hymn!


Later that day at a softball game we were telling some of the grand daughters about it and one of the 4 year olds said, "so what did the baby look like?" "Well, there was no baby" "Why, she said?" "Well, she needs to be married and have a dad" The rest of that story I'll leave to her parents to answer.


So what did that have to do with hitting my thumb. Because in that moment of discovering my 2 year old bird was a she, I forgot my pain.
I'm thankful to God for that.

No comments: