Tuesday, March 28, 2006

and I didn’t speak up because...

It seems like today, we have two types of people. No not Republican or Democrat, or liberal or conservative. The people I'm talking about are people who just want to get along regardless of the consequences or as long as it doesn't affect them right now and those people who want to stand up for what they believe and for the rights of others who have legitimate convictions. The "convinced" and the "unconvinced"

When I was just a lad, my mom taught me if confronted, just run away. That worked until one day the "confronter" backed me up into a corner until I couldn't run away.

Now, I'm not into standing up just to start a fight, in fact, I hate fighting. I believe we should try if possible to live in peace with all men. But sometimes that's not possible. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe and do it unashamedly.

Right now, I'm just going to leave this quote for you to think about. The link that follows is interesting background to it. You may find it interesting. After reading it, you may think I'm talking about the war in Iraq. I'm not but it could be used for that. Sometime down the line we'll explore this more, but here it is for now.

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.

No comments: