Thursday, March 23, 2006

How Could I Forget Joy !?!

I've been accused by some of my other children that Joy gets all the attention because she's the "baby". Well guys, I didn't even put her name in the links until she and Sher reminded me.

Actually, being new to blogging, I copied the links off of Joy's site and of course her name wasn't on there.

Each one of my children is very special to me and sometime we'll tell their stories, but here's the story behind Joy.

If you've read the profile, you'd see that I'm the father of 9 children. Only 8 are living today and here's the story behind it. Dolly (my wife) and I believed in doing things naturally, eating naturally, and having natural childbirth. We had 5 boys at home so when Dolly was pregnant again we were ready (or so we thought). Dolly always had long and difficult labors and this time was no different. When it was time to have the baby, Sabrina Marie was born, a healthy baby, and we were happy. On days like these the children would stay in another part of the house (upstairs for this one) until the baby would be born, then they would come and look and hold the baby. But to our surprise, there was another baby left to be born (no not Joy), but Sher Helen.

Sher was born breach, and we were concerned about her, but she seemed to be doing fine. We were all excited about the twins along with the rest of our family. 10 days later, though, Sabrina died in my arms in the early hours of May 20th. The doctors said it was S.I.D. and our family dealt with it. May 20th was also my sister's birthday. Forever after that, when my sister's birthday came, it was also the anniversary of our daughters death. I felt terrible for losing my daughter, and I felt bad because it brought sadness on my sister's birthday. Well, being a young buck, and thinking I had the world in my hands, this got my attention. At the funeral, one of Dolly's uncles talked to me about how great God was and it gave me a peace I had never felt before. As we tried to work through this death through the summer months, Dolly and I went to a wedding in August. I couldn't take it anymore! I grew up religious, but nothing seemed to satisfy. I had a brother-in-law and sister-in-law that seemed like they actually believed in the religion they were in. It seemed like they practiced what they preached. That night I said to Dolly that I would like to talk to them about God. She looked at me puzzled but went to ask them to come over. "They're coming over tomorrow night". It's no good, I need to talk to them tonight! I have no idea why (at least not then). Ron and Helen and Robert came over and asked what questions I had. "None, just wanted to hear more about God". They were puzzled, but just went and explained how they realized they were sinners and no one but Jesus Christ could pay for their sins and they got saved, and their life was never the same after that. They finally left wondering what our meeting was all about. That night (just around midnight) I realized that a good part of my life I was trying to do what I thought would please God, failing miserably, of course, and never knowing what he required. I realized that night that nothing I could do would ever give me that relationship with God that I didn't have. Then and there, I asked God to forgive me for my sins and to save me because I trusted that Jesus Christ was the only one that could pay that penalty.... and He did! My life has never been the same after that!

So, what's that got to do with Joy? I'm getting to it.

Dolly had another child, Jackie, our marine son and both of us (Dolly and I) grew in the Lord. soon, Dolly was pregnant again with our 9th child. God had brought us through the storms of life and had taken care of us. Our 9th child was born on May 20th! (my sister's birthday) Dolly said, let's call her "Joy" and we did. You see, in life people are looking for happiness, but happiness doesn't satisfy, it's only temporary, like buying a new car and the newness fades away after a short time. But, joy on the other hand is contentment. Contentment in knowing that God is in control, He loves us, and cares for us even when we are uncaring. Joy reminds me each day that God is so good! Who is this God that cares for us so much that He even allowed us to have Joy on my sister's birthday? I am always amazed because of who I am, and what I've done, that He still loves me. In the Bible, it says "who am I that thou art mindful of me?". Why does He love us so much? I don't know, but I know He does and find much comfort in knowing that.... much joy!

1 comment:

Sher said...

I agree with Jayne, you need to write a book. :) Great reminder of the Lord's joy in suffering.