Monday, March 27, 2006

A Passion for Life

I was talking to my son Scott tonight. He and his wife Susan are expecting their 2nd child. As a matter of fact, they are having it tomorrow! They already have a name picked out and Susan's mother is there to help watch their baby Lauren, then to help Susan and their new arrival.

They've been to the doctors throughout the pregnancy and are as prepared as any expecting parents can be. But due to some complications, there is some uncertainty along with this pregnancy. For that, I ask you to pray for them and the doctors, and to thank the Lord for the blessings they've been in my life.

Scott was born after a hard labor. Right out of the womb he was passionate about life. Like most newborns he made himself known. As Scott grew up he was always concerned about other people. He cared for their feelings, and if you wanted a friend that was loyal to the end, that was Scott. If Scott cared for you, he did it with a passion, and didn't care what anyone thought.

I remember one time he brought a girlfriend home (sorry Susan :) ), along with his best friend. While Scott was out playing ball with his brothers and other friends behind the house, his girlfriend and best friend stayed behind to talk with us. Kind of strange, but it became clear to Dolly and I when the two started flirting with each other. Scott was oblivious to this and when confronted with it wouldn't believe that anyone he trusted in would do something like that. That didn't matter to Scott. He wasn't a fairweather friend. Most people would have walked away from a situation like that, but not Scott. He remained friends true and true. I wouldn't have, but not Scott. Scott trusted and stuck to people through thick and thin. I probably never told him, but actually admired him for that. As I look back, he was like my mom and dad in some ways. They loved me even when I was unlovely. Not for personal gain, but just because they loved me.

Years later when I became a Christian, I found out that God loved me even when I was unlovely, and still does in spite of how I trip and stumble through life.

Anyway, tonight as Scott and Susan are trying to get through the night trying to anticipate the outcome of the morrow, I pray for them. I know that God is in control. Nothing will be a surprise to Him.

Knowing their passion for life, I empathize with them. Hoping and praying that everything will turn out okay, but if it doesn't knowing that God will be with them through it all.

When you see a loved one suffering, you'd rather take their place than have them go through it. That's what God did for us, and that is the attitude that Scott displays in his life with the ones he loves.

Thank You Scott, for your passion and your caring for Life.

Dad

No comments: