Thursday, March 23, 2006

IT

The other day Sher and I went to my grandchildren's school for a program on character. It was a sweet program and they all (5 of them) did a great job on their parts!

After the program we went to the classrooms to see them and their works. Passing through the Kindergarten class I stopped to say hi to Mrs. Hubbard. "I've been bragging on you today", I told her. At lunch with some friends I told them about the first word the kindergarteners learned to read. You see, a few years back I worked on the computers at their school. Next door to the class was the computer lab. The door was open and as I worked, I could listen to Mrs. Hubbard teaching those innocent wide-eyed children.

"Okay, children, we're going to learn to read our first word today!" she said enthusiastically. "Our first word is 'IT' , now let's all say it together.......IT". Wow! It, the first word they learned to read. As an adult dealing with every day issues of life, death, cancer, etc. hearing these young children learn to read their first word "IT", it just put life in perspective. No matter what the circumstances in life, life goes on. Things grow and die, and new things take their place. I tried to imagine my life as simple as that. The big thing of the day for them was to learn the word "IT"! I could picture them coming home and telling their parents "Mommy, I learned how to read today, I learned how to read IT!".

Children are such a blessing in life. And just when you get caught up in the deeper things of life, you have a moment like that. They put it all in place!

....and thank you Mrs. Hubbard for IT !

1 comment:

Sher said...

It's so neat to see little kids faces when they learn something new. :)