Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Not sure if you knew this...

I was over Shane & Holly's last night with the girls. Shane & Holly invite us over or come over almost every week. It's such a joy to spend time with them and with their boys. The other day they asked me to come over as they were having a yard sale. As I pulled up the boys were sitting in a little wagon hooked to the lawn mower. "Papa, would you give me a ride on the lawn mower?", little Spencer said. How could you deny him, so we did and had a fun time riding around the yard bouncing around and hearing them laughing.

Often you hear grandparents say how they really enjoy their grand children, sometimes even more than their kids. It is true that grand children are... well, GRAND!, but to be honest with you, I've always loved my kids as much. For some reason, today was thinking about a construction project years ago. We were adding on a bathroom and laundry room and I was nailing plywood decking on the floor. Now my boys were running around watching me, and said, "dad can we nail?" Well, I was trying to get the job done, but they asked again, "dad we want to nail". So I stopped what I was doing and said, go get a hammer. Boy were they eager and all ran to find a hammer or some blunt object to help me out with. They sat on the decking and just started nailing away! There was one problem, they didn't have a clue on how to hammer a nail and were bending the nails, and before you knew it we had a dozen or more nails in various stages of nailing on the deck. I don't think one of them was over a stud!

"Whoa! Let me show you how to hold a hammer. Don't put your hand close to the head, put it back down the handle further. Keep looking at the nail and then try it." I'm thinking that I need to get back to work and get this done, but then an amazing thing happened. They started learning how to hammer correctly, and before long they were actually "hitting the nail on the head" and helping me finish the floor. You could see in their eyes the satisfaction they had of learning a new useful thing. I wouldn't have traded all the gold in China for that experience.

I miss those times and many others when we worked together on various jobs around the house.

Anyway, if you're married and are contemplating the right time or circumstances or financial accumen to determine when a good time to have children is.... let me just tell you... the time is NOW. If you are privileged like I am to have children of your own, you will be blessed beyond compare!

Thank you Lord for my quiver full!

No comments: